Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wild!

Yesterday morning, I set out on my run about an hour and a half after sunrise. The temperature was cold, and I felt good! I ran down the first road, turned east and ran further, first up a hill, then down into a shady draw, surrounded by trees. Suddenly a coyote ran out into the road, in front of me. It startled me. I startled it. I like to think I was scarier. Just to make sure, I started yelling at it as it ran across the road.

This morning at 6:30, it was still pitch dark outside. The river and creek coyotes began their yip-yip-howling. I stepped out onto the front porch, in the dark, and I felt like they had surrounded the house: the singing stretched from the creek east of our house, up north, and back behind the house, west. Three coyotes can sound like 300, so try to imagine the cacophony of joyful wild canines greeting the yet-to-rise sun.

On our drive home from church this morning, an animal could be seen up ahead, crossing the road. I slowed down, thinking it was either A) a very small deer B) a coyote C) a grounded pterodactyl.

It was none of the above. It was a large bobcat! That was a pretty fun sighting.

2 comments:

Melissa G said...

Those coyotes have been noisy lately, haven't they? I'm pretty sure one was "serenading" me right outside our bedroom window early this morning!

twebsterarmstrong said...

Biserka was convinced there was something over by your house very early this morning.

Lock those kittens up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...