Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Art Clokey

Today's Google homepage (if you read this after Wed, Oct 12th, you will not see the link) was an animated tribute to Art Clokey on what would have been his 90th birthday (he died a year or so ago.) Who was Art Clokey?

Did anyone else spend hours playing with Gumby and Pokey? OK, OK, this was the 60s, and I had, as my mother has told me numerous times, a very active imagination, so when Santa (and yes, I truly imagined Santa and his sleigh. Yessirree. But I digress...)...so when Santa delivered me up a Gumby and a Pokey one Christmas, there were lots of adventures for this green Gumby and his orange pony, in my mind's eye. Which sort of takes me further back to a coloring book I got one Christmas, a Cowboy and Cowgirl coloring book. I spent so much time on each page: wondering what the cowboy was doing that day, where the cowgirl was riding that morning.

Wowee.

I guess if you give your kid a weird green figure and a weird orange pony and a coloring book, well, then, that kid is bound for amazing imagination and mind games. (My kids marvel that I can drive 20+ miles out of the way, completely lost in my thoughts. Well, maybe it was all because of Gumby & Pokey!)

So this Art Clokey? Kind of a sad upbringing. But he was successful in his art and creations, including Gumby and Pokey, art claymations, and films with such.

Just a part of my childhood.

Thanks, Santa.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Today at work, one of the teachers pulled up the Google homepage, and when the students saw Gumby waving, a lot of them waved back simultaneously. It was too funny to see.

Amy said...

I think we are related! We have the same mind. LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...