Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Hello?

I have a dandy phone message on my cell phone: "Hello! Please be so kind as to leave your name and number after the tone and I will get back to you as soon as possible."

Well.

Three kids (and some nieces and friends and neighbors, too) complain that there is a split-second, too-long-of-a-pause between Hello! and Please. They claim that they can't tell if it's the recording or the real me when I answer.

I think there is a big difference in my intonation: Hello?, as opposed to the recording: Hello! But the kids disagree, and have been at me for some time to change my voicemail recording. I still haven't gotten around to it. Today, College Grad Claire called, and I answered, "Hello?" There was a long pause. I repeated myself, "Hello?"

"Mom. If you're not going to change the recording, then at least answer your phone differently. Answer, 'Yo!'"

Later in the afternoon, the phone rang and I saw that it was Claire again. I answered, "Yo!" Silence. I repeated, "Yo!" Claire said, "Mom, don't just say 'Yo!', you have to say something more or someone will think you're a recording! Say, 'Yo! Wat up?' "

So I practiced it a few times. "Yo! Wat up?" "Yo! Wa' up?" "Yo! What's up?"

I am ready.
Give me a call.

1 comment:

Melissa G said...

LOL! I think I will have to call you just to hear you say Yo! Wat up? **giggle**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...