Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Great White Pumpkin

Back in May, my family began its most recent competition:
The Great White Pumpkin Contest.

I sent out an email this morning to the competitors,
and here are a few replies I have received so far:

We have a slight problem...
There is technically enough time to grow one batch, extract new seeds, and grow a second batch. Granted, they would be small... but we're after quantity right? Since these technically come from the same 10 seeds, I might be able to make a thousand pumpkins or more.
Do we need an extra rule?

I, and my class, have successfully kept ALL the seeds in the cup you gave them to me in….does that count?

I harvested and destroyed (trying to get more seeds) about 14 pumpkins (see attached).
However, I refused to shade my patch and relied on water instead (this killed the pumpkins).
I did have one plant revive itself from a root, but it has not produced any pumpkins and has also died (due to a freeze)
Unfortunately, I do not believe I am in the running, although I had a great time tracking my progress on the pumpkin blog (well, until the plants all died!)
http://punkin2011.blogspot.com/

That's nothing! I had squash bugs bigger than that.

I tied Brian.

I think my seeds got mixed up with Brian's. Brian, yours died.

I did witness several small, cute little pumkins on Brian's one remaining plant immediately after the freeze. I'm sure this would earn him extra credit.

Melinda, You have some great gardening skills.

She gets that from me.

Some of these are close enough to count as pumpkins, right??

I placed my pumpkin seeds underneath my pillow while I slept every night for months, and yet no pumpkins. This whole gardening thing is beyond me.

And there we have it: a season of family fun & games.
The Great White Valenciano Pumpkin Award will be announced Monday, October 31.

1 comment:

Melissa G said...

Tricia, we need tips on growing pumpkins over here across the road! We "successfully" grew one pumpkin - I harvested it a few days ago. I will send you a picture of this sad little thing. Granted, none of our garden plants did well this year, but we had such high hopes for the pumpkins. There's something(s) we're not doing correctly....help!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...