Monday, October 24, 2011

Places I Have Been:

I was reading a blog this afternoon about someone who might not be so thrilled about her family's move to Arizona. That got me to thinking about all my moves. I have lots of them!

Pryor, Oklahoma to Oklahoma State = good move

Oklahoma State to University of Connecticut = good move

Connecticut to Central Coast, California = trying move

Central Coast, California to Connecticut = good move

Connecticut to Cairo, Egypt = VERY trying, yet good move

Cairo, Egypt to East Lansing, Michigan = good move

East Lansing, Michigan to Oklahoma State University = GREAT MOVE!!!

Oklahoma State University to Kansas State University = meh

Sorry, Kansas folks. My heart bleeds orange. I really miss Orange Power and University Avenue. And I miss fresh the Connecticut autumn and seafood from both coasts and Egyptian foul and tameya and great MSU Friday Marching Band rehearsals. (the whole community comes out for these!)

As for rural Kansas? I love my neighbors, my Lutheran friends, our rural life. I miss my family tremendously. Who wants to drive 5 hours to nowhere? (Apparently, not many.) I hate the wind, I hate the dust, I hate the bugs. I love that our kids loved their late teen years here in rural Kansas. I love that our College Boy prefers to run on our country roads over the "city". I love that cyclists know where we live, and stop by for chats. I love (sort of) that everyone knows our comings and goings. That's good out here in the middle of nowhere. I love knowing the seasons of the farms and ranches. I know what's being planted in the field across the road, and I know what's being harvested as well. I know when the heifers south of us are calving, and when the ewes west of us are welcoming their little lambs. On any given night or early morn, I know the moon's position in the sky, any given week. I love that I can see the stars - I can see the stars and know exactly what time it is according to the stars. I know sunrise, and sunset.

And finally, after all my moves and all my observances: Home is where you hang your hat. Mine is hung here, and I have found the good in all things rural Kansas.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...