Tuesday, October 04, 2011

The Prairie: Butterfly Hunt

This morning I read Grad Student Gillian's blog, and my interest was immediately piqued at the prospect of seeing a butterfly migration. "Off to the Konza!" I announced to that Spouse o' Mine early this morning. It's difficult to describe his expression when I announce things like this. Anyway, as he left for his day, I was I soon out the door for my butterfly hunt.

There are several choices of trails at the Konza Prairie,
and this morning I opted for the ~ 4.5 mile route:

One of these pretty plants is the Virginia Creeper, and one is not.
Do you know the difference?









No wonder I am always sneezing:
Oh - as for the butterfly migration? Out on the prairie part of my hike, there were nothing but kabillions of grasshoppers, and that was most unpleasant. But as soon as I got into the woods and meadow areas - it's true! Swallowtails and Monarchs and ones I couldn't identify! And: here was a plus: lots of wildflowers which were nowhere to be seen all summer in the heat and drought. They're out in fine form, now!

Years ago when I first started hiking out on the Konza Prairie, I would pass a magnificent oak tree. It was huge, and beautiful. Many times I told myself to make a point of coming out and photographing it in every season: summer, fall, winter spring. It was beautiful in every season!

But it's too late.
The big oak tree died this summer.
There's a moral to this story.
I'll let you figure it out on your own.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

I've always thought Virginia creeper is the 5-leaf really red plant. Is that right?

That's just sad about the oak tree!

twebsterarmstrong said...

You are correct! Your nemesis is the other. SCADS of it in the woods.

Bonnie White said...

That dead oak tree is still pretty magnificent in its death. But I only know it like that. You however have seen it in its glory. And there now is another moral in the story. I love reading about your fresh attitude and zest for life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...