Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Flora and Fauna

These are poinsettias from last Christmas.
They looked really dismal when I planted them outside in May. They have taken on a new lease on life now. When visiting my inlaws in Australia, I would see huge, roof-high poinsettias, all pretty and red. This morning I was trying to remember at what point the poinsettias in Australia would be red. I think in the spring and summer, in that we usually visited them in our fall. In any event, mine are thriving, but green, and so I may haul them in and have pretty green poinsettias in December.

On another subject, this praying mantis has been hanging out at one of our hummingbird feeders. He has been there over 4 weeks now. I have watched him eat butterflies and ants. He knows a good thing when he sees it: the hummingbird feeder attracts whatever it is he likes to eat. I see him sometimes in the morning, and most always every evening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...