Saturday, July 24, 2010

Summer Ennui: Day 6: the Odonata

Hot humid hot humid thunderheads hot humid hot humid...

I took another bike ride early this morning. There were lots of other cyclists out, and that is always nice. They probably had the same mindset as I: get it done before the REAL heat sets in, and get it done in time to watch the last real stage of Le Tour:

Le Tour de France

I rode along a country road (ours) which is currently framed on both sides with corn as high as, hmmm... an elephant's eye? It is really fun to ride the approximate 8 miles surrounded by tall, tall corn. This morning's ride held another fascinating show of nature: all along the cornfields were hundreds and hundreds of dragonflies. I have never seen anything like it. On my way back, I was riding toward the sunrise, and I couldn't really make out the dragonflies except that their wings (hundreds) absolutely glittered in the distance. It was very pretty.

I did have to ride either smiling or with my mouth all the way shut. (And you non-cyclists just thought all cyclists were happy, smiling folk; we smile to breath out our mouths and keep the bugs out at the same time. But, we ARE happy folk.)

So I got my ride in, and watched le Tour, and my man Schleck did not beat Contador in the time trials.


Always next year, Andy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...