Thursday, July 01, 2010

Oh, Deer!

They are out: all of them - the does, the bucks, the baby fawns. They are so pretty, all of them.

We have seen so many deer the past two weeks. I spied an adorable little fawn out in a clearing, gamboling and kicking and trotting in circles in the pre-dawn cool. Probably he was getting his sillies out before the heat of the day set in. A few days ago I slammed on my car breaks (but did not swerve!) when a gentle doe came out of the cornfield and onto the road.

Just this morning that spouse o' mine and I were outside, he, in the drive preparing to leave for work, and I, a distance away, (in the shade already), saying "Have a good day." But then I stopped. And practically yelled. I think it was meant to be a whisper, but it might have come out as a yell. "PAUL!!! LOOKIE! A DEER!"

There, a deer not 25 feet from that spouse o' mine, by our barn. She (a doe) was looking at Paul. Until I screamed like a banshee. (You see, I intended it to be a whisper, but now I reluctantly seem to recall maybe my voice was raised to a yell..no, wait, maybe I was indeed screaming to get that spouse o' mine's attention to the pretty scene just behind his shoulder. Because sometimes that spouse o' mine does not "hear me" when I am talking. Does any other wife experience this aural phenomenon?)

A friend and fellow Lydia Circle member (church ladies' group) emailed me that she was enjoying seeing a doe and TRIPLET fawns out this week in her neighborhood.

I was relating these deer stories to my neighbor this morning, and she in turn told me her deer story of the day: a deer hit her daughter's car - not the other way around, (hey - it happens out here in the middle of nowhere), totaled the car. Her daughter was unhurt. The poor deer, unfortunately, was killed.

We Armstrongs have had 3 major altercations with deer and our cars. When I saw the little fawn out playing this week, somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking...you may be cute, but you may nearly kill some motorist this year....

And so it goes this week and this month, with the deer and the tall corn and all this encompasses. I will enjoy the deer, and we will beware of them, too.

2 comments:

Claire Hilary said...

What about the cow Tyler and I hit?
Totaled his car...HAHAA...

twebsterarmstrong said...

... and Oh, Cows!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...