Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Ennui, Day 4

My eyes popped open bright and early this morning, and I hopped out of bed with a jolt and got dressed in a flash.

No, it was not Christmas morning.

I made my coffee quickly and headed outdoors to do outdoorsy things before, you know, the dreaded heat set in. Even as I closed the door behind me at 6:00 am, I felt the humidity already heavy in the air.

For the next three hours I planted and weeded and mowed and watered and mulched and fed animals and watered animals. At 8:55 am, I declared my outdoor day DONE.

No sooner than I headed inside, though,
I got visitors at our front gate:

There is nothing better, I contend, to chase away that old summertime ennui, than a visit from the neighborhood neighbors, horses, black lab, and goat.

We all went out under the willows and ate plums off the plum tree.
And grapes from the grape vines.
The horses were content with plums.
The goat ate everything imaginable.

And that was a good end to my outdoorsy early morning.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Oh, I forgot how wonderful that was! Oh for one of those plums....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...