Sunday, September 05, 2010

Something in the Air

Yesterday morning that Spouse o' Mine and I awoke to a wonderful 48º, sunny, no-wind morning.

Wowee!

We took our coffee and quickly made our way into our cycling gear and out the door to prep our bikes for the weekly Pancake Ride.

Most every Saturday, cyclists from here & there join for a ride which at midpoint stops in a local town for...pancakes and such. The whole "loop" is 38 miles. My part of that loop is usually 12 miles, because I do not exude the correct amount of testosterone to participate in the full 38-mile, 20-25 mph loop. (i.e., the guys I ride with, and most of them are guys, seem to want to play the "King of the Mountain" card with each other, and, being the opposite gender, I could not care less who can make it up the hill/stretch/decline/curve faster. Not one whit do I care.)

But we all gather for breakfast at the local eatery, which I always seem to mistake for the Fellowship House, when in fact, as Daughter #2 did correct me once again this week, is the Friendship House. Just a local eatery in this tiny little town, and once a week, cyclists from other places converge to enjoy...their friendship? (I like the Fellowship House name better). Speaking of, while on our ride yesterday, Daughter #2 called me on my cell, and since the Pancake Ride cycling people are also her former collegiate cycling people, it was nice for her to hear them yell, "Hi, Claire!", from rural Kansas to Washington, D.C., before we got to midpoint.

And we cyclists ate breakfast and headed our differing ways. What a great way to enjoy a beautiful morning, starting a 3-day weekend.

Well, ha.
Ha ha.
I forget sometimes where I live: rural Kansas.

This morning, rather than the gorgeous sun and low temps and lack of wind and such, I was awakened by gale-force wind (ok, 30 mph), and HEAT. And pollen: ragweed pollen.

Wind, heat, sneezing. What a nice way to spend a day. And this pollen thing? I recall, 7 years ago when we moved to the Flint Hills, and upon return from a trip to the mountains some 8 hours away, my telling that Spouse o' Mine, "I had no idea how poorly I had been feeling, till I realized how good I felt in the mountains." Away from ragweed. Ugh.

More airy news? My youngest older brother and his wife are planning to fly his Air Cam up to Kansas tomorrow (Kansas wind permitting) for an overnight.
So, in addition to wind and pollen,
we have ultra-lights forecast in the rural Kansas air!

2 comments:

Malinda said...

48 degrees? I am so jealous. We won't see that until late October. Since the summer lingers on here, we will go to the beach this weekend and play tourist now that the tourists have gone home. We love/hate them all. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

xpda said...

Isn't it about time you took a ride in that Aircam?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...