Thursday, September 02, 2010

Beta-Keratin Week

Yesterday was the first day of September. Autumn is soontacome! What did I do, the first day of September?

Pumpkin Harvest
Yessirree, I picked 5 Wabaunsee New England Pie Pumpkins yesterday! The photo above is a glimpse of a most delicious pumpkin soup I made for dinner last night. (With bruschetta) I used 2 pumpkins for this soup. I sneaked/snuck another pumpkin into my rancher-neighbor's mailbox, because that's just what you do out here in the middle of rural nowhere: you sneak interesting items into unsuspecting neighbors' mailboxes. Nice things, only, that is. I think the FBI frowns on not-nice things placed into unsuspecting people's mailboxes.

So I have 2 harvested pumpkins left, and a few more still lying in wait on the vine. We have company coming on Monday (so my youngest big brother says), and I think I will save one or the both for that welcome. That, and either some lamb or beef that we have procured from our local ranchers down the road the other way (not the pumpkin recipient.) Because the buzz phrase this decade is "eating locally", or something akin to that. We have beef, lamb, eggs, pumpkins, tomatoes, apples, peaches, and lots and lots of basil, all of which is locally-grown and in the case of the latter five, have come from our own little yard. (Little by rancher standards, anyway.)

On a very very cheerful note, the temperature this afternoon in rural Kansas was 62º, and I just heard on BBC Radio (because that's what we listen to here in rural Kansas, the British Broadcasting Corporation) that our low tonight is going to be 48º.

Omigoodness.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I had my window open last night and woke up at 3:30 and couldn't sleep for an hour because I was cold.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...