Sunday, August 22, 2010

Peach Season

"Hauling crates of peaches from the orchard to the shipping shed."
Delta County, Colorado, September 1940.
Reproduction from color slide.
Photo by Russell Lee.
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress

It's peach and apple season here in Wabaunsee County. This morning I picked the bottom half of the old apple tree clean. The top half will wait for someone who wants to shimmy up a ladder, round and round the circumference. The new apple tree? I am not sure it has one apple on it. I thought, this spring, I saw 3 blossoms on it, and I thought, this spring, that that meant three apples. But I might be incorrect in my pome fruit blossom:fruit ratio biology stuff. Maybe.

And the peach trees are sporting small-but-dandy fruit. This afternoon a fellow from down the road stopped by to ask that Spouse o' Mine about the peaches: were they ready? That Spouse replied that they were not, but the apples were - go ahead, come on into the yard and pick! But the fellow from down the road smiled. According to That Spouse, a big, toothless grin. Oops. No apples for that guy. Well, that Spouse o' Mine did take it a notch further and explain to the fellow from down the road that he could make apple sauce from the ripe apples. The fellow from down the road said he was not going to make apple sauce.

Too bad, fellow from down the road.

We Armstrongs froze 10 quarts of applesauce this morning.

Happy kids home from college
who LOVE to be invited to do the Amish/Martha Stewart/
bond-with-your-mother things when they come home.


I love my kids. They are good sports.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...