Saturday, August 28, 2010

More Colorado Kitchen Talk

So here I sit, in the Colorado kitchen. This afternoon's rain (again: no wind, monsoon, tornadoes), was such a welcome to my soul. Earlier this afternoon, the College Boy left for points west, and, true to my maternal pattern, I boo-hooed on the steps of the porch. He waved to me as he got in his car. I know he is 19, but I could have sworn he was a 4 year old cutie-bug, climbing into his Little Tykes Buggy to pedal down the sidewalk some 25 yards away.

Oh my. I wonder: when does the boo-hooing stop? I don't mean I am still crying, I mean that every time one of my kids leaves for their own home, I tear up. Or more.

Well, after the College Boy left, that Spouse o' Mine and I headed in to town (Breckenridge) to enjoy some walking and talking. And we discussed dinner for the night. Weeks ago, we had a conversation regarding:dinner out: (my argument in rural Kansas in the middle of August was WHY WHY WHY would I want to clean up, only to climb into a 105* car and drive 20 minutes in said car, only to wait to be waited upon in some restaurant, still perspiring, and to give our order, perhaps at this point, rankled, and then to eat and climb into our 105+* car, to home? And our discussion, weeks ago, ended when we said, "Let's wait till Colorado.")

And now, we are in Colorado. We bid the College Boy farewell. We walked around Breckenridge, and the subject of dinner came up: Where to eat? This was bandy-ed about for a couple of minutes. A couple of minutes, only. Because, true to our course, we came upon this epiphany: "Why not go get a really good ***** and roast/bake/grill/ it and enjoy the mountain scene back at the house?

And so we did:

Grilled lamb chops
Salad
Roasted portabella mushroom, stuffed w/ spinach souffle

And so we STILL have not eaten at any fine restaurant, yet we have had fine meals and fine conversation.

What does the morning bring, here in the mountains?

I don't know! Stay tuned!
(As will I.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...