Friday, August 06, 2010

Grateful

The Grad Student (above, formerly monickered as Daughter #1) and I went to a USPC Rally today.

USPC: United States Pony Club
It was very fun to watch the show jumping and not be white-knuckling with worry of MY KIDS out there competing. I enjoyed being an unbiased spectator, for once. (Although the 14hh pony in the last round surely did make me yearn for another wonderful pony like our own Dollie Golightly:)
Dollie Golightly, moving cattle at the Downey Ranch.

This afternoon brought back so many memories of our kids and their ponies. (Now I should mention that Pony, as in Pony Club, is not a diminutive of the equine species, but rather reflective on the child's age. I dunno...some Brit somewhere coined the term, and PC is a Brit-originated Club.) Our kids rode and kept innumerable ponies and horses in their time in Pony Club.

OK - my post's title: Grateful:

I am grateful that our kids were involved in Pony Club.
Pony Club taught all three incredible discipline. Incredible, incredible discipline.

"Take care of your pony before you take care of yourself", I still hear one instructor call out after a hard ride in really high temperatures.

And how about those sub-zero mornings, when the kids would have to break ice and feed before heading off to school? And when our kids rode their bikes 3 miles to feed their ponies, twice daily?


The Standards of Proficiency, the Horse Management, the ratings, Knowdown/Quiz, and the mounted meetings...

And how about the Christmas Mounted Meeting, riding around neighborhoods, caroling upon jingle-belled horses? And Halloween ponies?

Fun, work...much more work than a kid's typical day.

And, sadly, life, and death. I don't know how to describe it, but somehow the death of a 1500-lb friend is tremendous burden. Words do not describe.

So, yes! I am grateful that our kids, now all adults, were members of Pony Club. Responsibility, kindness, leadership, athleticism, science, and much more. I frequently encourage our three to turn and repay the volunteerism which enabled what was given to them: a great experience.



Moon, Socks, Zephyr, and some Armstrong kids

3 comments:

CHD said...

Love, love, love!!'
I do wish we had a PC here, or I had the ballz to start one- or maybe kids interested enough...

Claire Hilary said...

I told Rich, I may just find a barn near Richmond that I can just go shovel poop at. Its just so theraputic to 1. shovel manure, and 2. be around the animals.

xpda said...

Adults? Your kids (and mine) will NEVER be grown-ups OR adults!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...