Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Good Iced Coffee

There was an article yesterday in the Wall Street Journal, about making "good" iced coffee.

Reading it took me back to my introduction to iced coffee: a summer afternoon in Pasadena with my very dear Aunts Lois and Alpha. They asked me if I would like some iced coffee.

I had never had iced coffee.

I loved it.

Now, a few decades later, it's a regular beverage here at the Armstong home.

How is it made and served? Very simply, compared to whatever the coffee joints about town and WSJ might present:

Brew some strong(er) coffee.
Make ice cubes out of this.

Brew some more strong(er) coffee.
Put in your refrigerator to cool.

And then, find some nice "tall" glasses, and serve up the cool glass of iced coffee.


If your guests like cream (yes, thank you), and sugar (no, thank you), you will have the creamer and sugar cubes on hand. Right?

2 comments:

Claire Hilary said...

I do it this way:

Fill a filter FULL of coffee (just enough but not too much that it will overspill.

Brew at 2x strength.

This is where I add a bit of brown sugar..but knowing you, thats not an option.

Put in fridge until cool.

Mix with half and half and some ice or coffee cubes.
:)

Jo said...

And this is the best way:
Cold Brew:

Find a delicious coffee you want to use, and grind into coarse grind.. (I have them do it for me at the roastery)
Soak one pound of coarse ground coffee in a gallon of water.
Filter grinds out after 12 hrs,
Voila!
Cold Brew Coffee you can enjoy all week!
(some people will need to dilute it with milk or iced water, I like it strong and black!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...