Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oh Mr. Moon...

Early, early this morning, my eyes opened, and I thought I saw the moment before the crack of dawn. I got up and wandered to the window to watch it: the crack of dawn. But...it didn't crack. I walked into the other room and turned on the light to look at my watch: 3:40 am.

Ah.

Full moon, it was. This happens to me on occasion, early bird that I am. Last night's full moon was purported to be a super moon: brighter than ever. Well, I can't speak to that, because, while it did seem pretty bright, so have many moons over the years - especially my favorite: full moons over snow. Now, those are fun! I have gone outside to enjoy a snowy full moon. It's like daytime in the middle of the night - shadows and all!

Here's a moon report from one of my favorite poets, Samuel Coleridge:
The Moon, how definite its orb!
The Moon, how definite its orb!
Yet gaze again, and with a steady gaze--
'Tis there indeed,--but where is it not?--
It is suffused o'er all the sapphire Heaven,
Trees, herbage, snake-like stream, unwrinkled Lake,
Whose very murmur does of it partake
And low and close the broad smooth mountain
Is more a thing of Heaven than when
Distinct by one dim shade and yet undivided from the universal cloud
In which it towers, finite in height.

It is said by really down-to-earth gardeners that one should not plant during the full moon, at least the first day of the full moon. I am going to adhere to this premise this year. More for fun than anything else, but who knows? These "old wives' tales" more often than not hold some credibility. And besides, even though I have my seed pots and soil and "conservatory" (more on that later) ready to roll, I spent the better half of this afternoon Bloodhound-proofing my vegetable garden. There is nothing like 4' hogwire and a bloodhound to really make one feel like a hillbilly.

Tomorrow morning I am driving to Kansas City to have lunch and shopping with my daughters. How fun! It's always fun to be with them, but nowdays, our lunches and shopping have turned to a new facet in my Mom-life. The girls are totally adults, I am totally middle-aged, and it seems like we three are on a more-even keel with life. Well - at least moreso than when they were in high school or even college. Now I have to attempt to bide by my unspoken rule not to give them my opinion every moment of their lives. Some days it happens, some days it is a fail...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...