Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

Back in the 1700s a man named Anton Stoll was buddies with two other men: Franz Joseph Haydn and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Anton was a music coordinator for an Austrian town called Bad bei Wien ("Bath near Vienna"). Herr Mozart wrote an Ave Verum Corpus for Herr Stoll. Or maybe I could be presumptuous enough to say Amadeus wrote a eucharistic hymn for Anton. Or simpler yet, how about Amad wrote a song for Anton? Interestingly, this piece was written about six months before Mozart's death. Nowadays, Mozart's Ave Verum is a well-known piece performed by choirs and orchestras around the world.

Today was cello day for me! I am past the 1.5 year mark. Why, I should be up there in the ranks of Jacquelin du Prè, Rostropovich, Jean Jeanrenaud, ...and of course - my hero, Yo Yo Ma, just any day now!

What is my assignment for the week? Kind of an easy week - most lessons come with a 2-song, 1-etude, and one-scale assignment. This week I have only one song: Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus in D major. It should sound like this:

(It's nice that I am up there in the cello ranks with some middle school cellist somewhere in the musical realm...)

On the Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday note:

Cajun Gumbo is going on in this household.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

(Let the good times roll!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...