Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chaumes: stubble

The Hundred Years' War in France was a series of wars between the French and English in the 14th and 15th centuries. The French Périgord is also the land of 1001 medieval and Renaissance castles, and the site of Roman ruins, and even prehistoric ruins dating back some 40,000 years. That's REALLY old history. Can you imagine living in such a place? How fun would that be, on a weekend basis?!

The Hundred Years' War was divided into phases: the Edwardian War, the Caroline War, the Lancastrian War, the period of Jean d'Arc, the Breton War of Succession, the Castilian War, the War of Two Peters, and the Crisis of 1383-85. That's a whole lot of dissension. The United States of America has its periodic dissensions, and yes, we have experienced the Civil War, but I don't know that we have experienced any internal strife the likes of the Hundred Years' War. I hope we never do.

Nowadays, the Périgord region of France which is noted for its cuisine, most notably its geese, ducks, foie gras, and truffles.

So where am I going with this?

I went marketing today, (as my late Aunt Alpha would preface), and what should I come upon but Chaumes cheese from the Périgord region of France! And I have to tell you, this cheese is great! Maybe a little pricier than the standard Kraft American (boo! cheese?!! I think not) but most certainly a fun and worthwhile venture into cheesedom. We all gave it a thumbs-up.

For you who don't trust me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaumes_cheese

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...