Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Twelve Days

It's December 28th, three days after Christmas Day. We still have our Christmas tree up, the lights in our windows are still lit each evening. We have a few remnant gifts, wrapped and unwrapped, under the tree.

Even though the new week and work beckoned us from our fun-filled weekend, we are still in the Christmas season, and will be until January 6th: Twelfth Night, and the first day of Epiphany. For those who celebrate liturgical church traditions, there are twelve days of Christmas, and then comes Epiphany, the season till Ash Wednesday - the beginning of Lent, which precedes Easter.

OK, that's enough calendar chat. What I really want to say is that these twelve days of Christmas, to me, are the most peaceful and relaxing days of the winter. Advent, to me, has become a horrible, manic time of hurry-hurry-hurry! and Let's-Do-Christmas! and advertisements to shop!-shop!-shop! and Get-that-tree-up! - DECORATE!! and Omigosh-I-have-to-make-Christmas-memories-NOWWwwwww!

After all the hoopla between post-Thanksgiving and Christmas, let me tell you, these twelve days are wonderful. We can really meditate on Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Men.

I can have fun fun fun the coming days, baking whatever comes to mind on any given morning. Or not baking anything. There is no "CHRISTMAS COOKIE SCHEDULE".

We played Scrabble last night. The College Grad flew home to Virginia (thankfully, no snow to report last night!), the Grad Student has left for her home, the College Boy is at a party. Tonight, the tree is lit, the candles are on, and that Spouse o' Mine is making dinner. I have a table-full of quilting on the docket. We have week-old twin lambs to bottle-feed for our neighbors down the road. That Spouse o' Mine is finishing up the closet trim in our bedroom. I have a new book to begin tonight.

And what is in store for the rest of this week and next? New Christmas recipes. Old Christmas recipes. Christmas carols. Arts and crafts - that's what is nice about dark winter: one can enjoy indoor creativity, instead of outdoor activity. The College Boy has a set of watercolors he is using these two weeks. The Grad Student has a myriad of knitting projects going. The College Grad has indoor plants that she is nursing. That Spouse o' Mine has a new Christmas guitar.

In the twelve days of Christmas, I will enjoy the peace and quiet...of food, family, arts, snow (hopefully), and plans for the new year. And our blessings.

Yippee!

5 comments:

Gillian said...

And don't forget about my Geogami!

twebsterarmstrong said...

I already put your smaller one on the tree!

Anonymous said...

I could fix that peaceful and relaxing part if you would come climb a mountain with me.

Anonymous said...

It is odd that I have to sign on with my Wordpress account to leave a comment on a Google blog. I'm Bob, in case you didn't figure it out.

twebsterarmstrong said...

I know who you are - you're the only one who invites me to go mountain climbing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...