Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving: past

I am writing this the evening before Thanksgiving.

I can certainly give thanks for my ancestors, Dutch people circa 1642, and those Van Valkenburgs which continued beyond. It surely took a lot of gumption to leave Maastricht, Limburg Province of the Netherlands, for unknown New Amsterdam, New York: now known as Manhattan.

And that Spouse o' Mine's lineage, back to Myles (Miles) Standish, Mayflower passenger, and a member of the Plymouth Colony..

And here we are, me from Oklahoma, he, from Toowoomba, Australia. Both here in the Flint Hills of Kansas.

A question was posed at book club last week: Who would you like to have a conversation with, if you could talk to anyone? My two choices were Will Rogers and ... I would love to have the chance to talk to my ancestors. How fun, and how enlightening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...