Friday, November 05, 2010

The November Gardener

Yes, it's been an effort, the past 24 hours, to get potted plants and flowers indoors and away from the sub-freezing temperature out there. Why go to all this trouble, people wonder?

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning, a fellow gardener who lives further south, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain, and she nailed it: here it is, November, and we are just now seeing our gardens and flowers thriving. So...this is what the rest of the world enjoys some 6-odd months of the year? No beating sun that makes the blooms wither, no wind that literally dries things in a few hours, no deluges AND winds of tornadic proportions, no grasshoppers eating your crops - again, in a matter of hours...just cool nights, mild, sunny days.

When I read the forecast for the coming 10 days, it showed a mere two nights of below-freezing weather. In that my begonias, lantana, snapdragons, geraniums, and stock are finally thriving and going great guns, how could I let two measly nights of freeze-burning weather kill them? I may have a few more weeks of gorgeous flowers in the future, and by golly, I am going to enjoy them!

I'll keep you posted. As for now...the sun is nearly setting, and I have a full front walk of lantana and 3 rows of lettuce, fennel, and collard greens to cover.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...