Saturday, May 22, 2010

Windy Wind

That Spouse o' Mine came back from his afternoon bike ride.
"How was it?" I asked.
"Well, it wasn't absolutely miserable."

And there you have it: wind speeds today in rural Kansas are 30 mph, with 40 mph wind gusts. And it wasn't just wind, it was hot wind. Days like today make me a whiney pot. I hate wind, I hate the heat, I hate wearing baseball caps because middle-aged women should be able to do better, but those fetching sunhats upstairs in my closet just blow right off my head on days like today. (Oh, and the wind blew a sheet of tin across the yard and across that Spouse o' Mine's' car and put a dandy scratch into it.)

So, to buoy my mental well-being, I am going to post some windy quotes. Maybe this will cheer me up.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. ~ William Arthur Ward (note: OK; apparently, at least for today, I am a whiney-pot pessimist. OK!)

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it. ~ Winston Churchill

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~ Henry Ford

The wind always seems to blow against catchers when they are running. ~ Yogi Berra

Thought is the wind, knowledge the sail, and mankind the vessel.
~ August Hare

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...