Sunday, May 09, 2010

Ramblings

Lots of things on my mind this evening!

Firstly, it's Mother's Day. I love that I talked to all three kids today, as well as to MY mother, and all is well with all four. That sums up Mother's Day for me. I want nothing more, as a mother and daughter.

I made a dandy shrimp salad tonight (and focaccia, too!). We enjoyed shrimp tonight because my Saturday Night menu got too complicated. Here's the gist of it:

That Spouse o' Mine went out and bought swordfish and shrimp yesterday so that we could celebrate birthdays of Daughter #2 (today!) and her Boyfriend (tomorrow!), plus Mother's Day/Saturday Night-Whoopla. (Any subject can be made a celebration, in my books.) We ate swordfish, a giant collection of grilled vegetables, mango-melon-pineapple salad, and a double-layer pineapple upside-down cake. Lovely, it was.

But the shrimp got elbowed out of the dining arena, and so tonight this is what I made:

2 handfulls of cooked shrimp (sorry, but I always ask for shrimp in handfulls and not pounds, so when that Spouse o' Mine went to the grocery, I asked for 2 handfulls of shrimp.)
2 avocados, cut into some semblance of geometric figures. You can't cube an avocado. Just don't mush it.
1 C corn (Cook it & cool it.)
some tomatoes and onions: you be the judge
About 2 Tbsp lime juice (on the shrimp)

This was good! Add to the menu the focaccia, the recipe for which is coming at a later date, because there is going to be some major tweaking in the recipe which I got online.

Today's church sermon and a post on the ELCA board were both a very minor source of disagreement between that Spouse o' Mine and me. In fact, I should not even mention it (and you may read this paragraph tonight and not see it again tomorrow, should I deem it unfit to even ruminate on.) But both sources stated that today we should celebrate all the mothers we know: biological, spiritual, mothers of the church, ladies who have inspired us in our lives, women who want to be mothers but are biologically unable,... and it goes on.

My thought (and definitely contrary to that guy playing his guitar in the living room's opinion) is that Mother's Day is just that: for Moms. Biological or adoptive, I don't care, but there is something to be said about this Hallmark-made holiday that I would like to embrace. 27 months of morning sickness, gigantic waddling and at least 36, if not 276 sleepless months of post-natal call to duty deserves a celebration the likes of which...I don't know: Macy's Day Parade?

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Claire said the cake was delicious (and everything else sounds good too!)

And did you not use the focaccia recipe I gave you??

twebsterarmstrong said...

I did not, and I should have! This recipe is one I saw online: sounded good, but it is not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...