Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Moonsets and Tides

Well! Maybe you have noticed a new thing on this blog, the moon phases, minute-by-minute or hour-by-hour, I am not sure. (Because I have been watching it bedtime-by-bedtime, and let me tell you, it seems pretty darn accurate.)

I love the moon phases. Easter, when we were at Hilton Head, South Carolina and full of family, it was a full moon. (Note:It always seems that we are at Hilton Head when there is a full moon - for years!) The evening of the full moon, the low tide was EXTREMELY low. Now, being a flatlander from rural Kansas, who would know about tides? High tides, low tides? Pah!! We know about high yields and low yields, but nothing about tides. But there we were. With a full moon and an extremely low tide. Did this mean anything to us, the full moon and the extremely low tide? Yes! Indeedy! It meant that my 80+ mom had to dutifully and carefully tread her way down the steep walkway to the sailboat and back steeply uphill again - absolutely not an easy exercise if one is not accustomed to mountain goat exercises.

I awoke at 5:30 am this morning, and here was little light outdoors. I waited 5 more minutes, and then arose from bed. Still pretty dark. But I liked it. I went for a short run (short, because the mud was just not fun), and commenced with my daily goings-on: cats, dog, ducklings, then the ponies.

What's fun? Seeing the moonset and the sunrise, all together now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...