Saturday, May 12, 2012

It Makes me Want to Run - Fast!

Yesterday as I was entering the outskirts of town, I saw one, then another, and then more young pedestrians (young being college-aged, mind you.) out and about in the gorgeous day.  It was remarkable, and I did so remark to myself, that these specimens of youth looked healthy.  Really, really healthy.  Not the run-of-the-mill, standard-issue college students, who in these parts more often than not are  overweight and seem to dress to accentuate the problem.

And then it hit me: the conversation I had with my own College Boy the day before: the Big Twelve Collegiate Track and Field Championships were in Kansas this weekend.  MY TOWN!

Huh.  That's why all these lithe and sprite-walking PEDESTRIANS looked above the norm: I was witnessing healthy lifestyles exemplified by ah! sweet youth. 

I just think it was interesting that I would remark to myself how healthy these people looked, walking around our town.  So interesting was it, that I also remarked upon it to my lunch date friend, and my son (had to call him - he thought I was very funny), and then that Spouse o' Mine. 

Well!  Anything that has to do with speed and athleticism (besides football) calls my name.  And yesterday and today we have been enjoying Track and Field at its finest: national collegiate competition, right here in our own back yard.  It can't get much better than that, let me tell you.  And the fun thing about track and field?  Why - there's so much going on all over the place, one is never bored.  Watch the pole vaulting, but then cast a glance over to the shot put.  And then amble over (and watch overhead as well) to the hammer throw.  During all of the field events, keep an ear toward the track to catch all the races and relays.  And hurdles.  And long jump.  And ...

... such fun!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...