Tuesday, May 08, 2012

I, Mechanic

Last week the remote key thing for my car failed.  I assumed it was the battery, and today I finally got around to bringing the key in from the car (remember, this is rural Kansas...).  I couldn't find a hex key small enough to open the little gadget, and so I used my largest butcher knife.

It worked.

I stopped by an electronics store while in town this afternoon and picked up a new battery.  Back home, I took the butcher knife to the remote once again (I am sure Volvo doesn't see this as a viable tool option, but it works in most cases.)  I replaced the dead battery, shut and screwed everything closed again, and...nothing.  I repeated my steps.  Nothing.  That Spouse o' Mine, with his wonderful engineering degree and all, had his try at it.

Nothing.

Finally, I took the remote out of his hands and began banging it  - HARD - on our wrought iron picnic table.  BANG  BANG  BANG  BANG  BANG  BANG  BANG  BANG!!

Sweet victory was mine.  It worked! 

I went inside, keys and remote in hand, having validated my worth to this world.

Not five minutes later, that Spouse o' Mine stuck his head in the door.  He said my car was locking all by itself.  Outside.  With the keys inside the house with me.

No, I said.  Can't be.  I went out, unlocked the car, and returned five minutes later.  The car was locked again. 

I read the manual, and it did not mention phantom locking.  It didn't mention NOT banging the remote on wrought iron...

I got into the car, started the engine for a minute or so, and then turned it off, and went inside.  That was an hour ago.  Upon checking, the car is still unlocked.

I, Mechanic.

1 comment:

Melissa G said...

You are GOOD! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...