Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sixteen Years: Chapter Closed

Sixteen years ago, we moved from Michigan to a new home, a new town, in what to our kids was a new state. For me, Oklahoma was going home. As in any move, getting young kids settled into a new home and routine was paramount. Upon moving, I joined a Newcomers' Club, whose activities are hazy at this point, except that I met one very great friend at a luncheon one day. She, too, a newcomer. She was younger than I; she had a baby. My babies were in grade school and nursery school. Nevertheless, we two hit it off and continue to be fast friends to this day, even though she and hers have moved away from Oklahoma, as have I and mine.

Sixteen years ago, my new friend Cate mentioned the words Pony Club to me. Were our kids interested in horses? And from that moment, we can segue through a sixteen-year chapter of equine acquaintances, all of them dear to my heart. It is a chapter of learning and responsibility for our kids, love and heartaches, winning, losing, life and deaths.

Graham (5) & Dollie, Claire & Cody

Tacking up.Gillian & MoonPalida upending ClaireRecovery:Silly ponyGill & Moon

Three kids, three ponies.
Excuse me: thoroughbreds.
Claire and PalidaGill & Zephyr, the PERFECT pony.
Mr. Socks died two weeks ago.
His owner, terminally ill, gave him to us some ? 8 years ago.
A thoroughbred off the track.
Mr. Socks did not trust many people.
Hours and days and years later, he was a 1500-lb. puppy.
Turbo
Turbo on a frolic.
Goodbye, Turbo.
Turbo returned to his original home last night.
sigh.

1 comment:

CHD said...

I am so amazed I was able to add something to the exciting book that is the Armstrong autobiograpy.
I dearly loved this chapter, and hope you and the kids treasure it always.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...