Thursday, May 19, 2011

Irises and Poppies

This morning we awoke to rain and periodic thunder.
I took my coffee out to the front porch.
Moments later I was joined by Euripides.

There was a time, when we first moved to rural Kansas, that I sat out on our front porch and waved to every car and truck who drove by. But nobody waved back. So I quit sitting out there and waving. I used to sit out at our home in Oklahoma and people waved back, stopped and chatted...even total strangers. I suppose I would offend people here if I were to infer anything from that, so I will just say that Okies are a friendly folk.

Later in the rainy morning I visited the KSU Gardens. It was on my to-do list this week, and this week is coming to an end. I was the only person out in the wet gardens, and that was quite a nice thing. My task was to study the iris beds:

Next month is the iris sale, and I took a most scientific approach to my study this morning: if I liked a color, I took a photo, trying to get both the name and the iris color in the picture. If that didn't work, well, on to the next iris...

Here is a nice conservatory at K-State. It's in disrepair, though. Lots of the glass panes were broken. Likely possibility, given that this is springtime in Kansas, and we do have the periodic hailstorm.

Book club tonight,
and we are to bring one of our favorite poems.
Here is one that has a top slot of the poems in my head:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...