Thursday, February 03, 2011

Renaissance Men

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina was an Italian composer in the time of the Renaissance, some 500-odd years ago. He wrote sacred music. In fact, it is written that Sr. Palestrina wrote 105 masses, 68 offerings, over 140 madrigals, and more than 300 motets. Not to mention the 35 magnificats, 11 litanies, 72 hymns, and other tunes he put out. He was born on this date, some 486 or so years ago. Why in the world am I writing about him?

Way back in my collegiate days, I was a member of the University Choir at Oklahoma State University. And we sang Palestrina numbers periodically. I loved them. I still love them. It helps if you know the Latin translation. But who does not recognize Gloria in Excelsis Deo? And more...

To me, this music is spiritual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSGnVdeBR4w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKInTBYrMw&feature=related

Wouldn't everyone want to pray while listening to this? I do. And, I do.

Interestingly, Sr. Palestrina was born on this date in 1525 or 1526, and he died a day after his 68th or 69th birthday (some discrepancy there). Maybe too much partying.

Here's another birthday boy who makes my heart sing:




February 3rd: how about a love poem?

Camomile Tea
by Katherine Mansfield

Outside the sky is light with stars;
There's a hollow roaring from the sea.
And, alas! for the little almond flowers,
The wind is shaking the almond tree.

How little I thought, a year ago,
In the horrible cottage upon the Lee
That he and I should be sitting so
And sipping a cup of camomile tea.

Light as feathers the witches fly,
The horn of the moon is plain to see;
By a firefly under a jonquil flower
A goblin toasts a bumble-bee.

We might be fifty, we might be five,
So snug, so compact, so wise are we!
Under the kitchen-table leg
My knee is pressing against his knee.

Our shutters are shut, the fire is low,
The tap is dripping peacefully;
The saucepan shadows on the wall
Are black and round and plain to see.



1 comment:

Gillian said...

Is that dad's Popeye pose?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...