Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday Dossier

Wow, 40º outside this afternoon. I wasn't any more comfortable outdoors today than I was yesterday, though. It probably had a lot to do with my skewed mindset that, being so warm today, I did not have to don a coat, hat, and gloves before venturing out. And so I didn't, and so I was cold. Yesterday, the day before - well, the whole past week of single- and negative-temperatures, I have cheerfully stepped into my snowsuit and polar gear of hat, scarf, mittens, and snow boots before exiting the house, and have been toasty all week long.

These ducks were tickled pink to be waddling in liquid H2O this afternoon, as opposed to slip-sliding away on its solid form. Or as opposed to taking two snow-covered steps and then sitting on their feet to warm them for a moment before taking two more.

I went to the library this afternoon (in my turtleneck and fair isle, and yes I was cold), to check out a book on gypsies. Now how is it, I ask you, that all the library books about gypsies in the Manhattan library could be checked out today? Is there a run on gypsy knowledge? Is there a gypsy fair this weekend that I don't know about?

I like to check this site periodically for earthquakes around the world:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Odd, perhaps, for some, but I find it very interesting. College boy Graham goes to school in the Pacific Northwest, and it seems like they are always experiencing tremors. In fact, where we in the plains states have tornado drills, his school has earthquake drills.

This afternoon I checked in on earthquake central
just minutes after a 7.0 earthquake was felt in southwest Chile. Only 100 miles, in fact, from a university which just purchased some testing instruments from us here in rural Kansas, and with whom I have been working this month. I emailed one of the fellows down there, who sent a chipper reply that all was well.

Technology is amazing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...