Monday, October 11, 2010

A Rant

It seems like everything in this world now is scented. Scents that are artificial, invasive, downright obnoxious. I can't stand fake scents. Today I was looking to buy some cat litter, and all I could find was "scented". There's little worse than a cat litter box, but to me, a cat litter box that smells of cat pee AND some additional offending odor is unbearable.

I was at a different store last week, and one of those aisle demonstrators wanted to show me the new air freshener and give me coupons. I smiled and told her I didn't do scents. (And am I the only one who sneezes around these offending, chemical "scents"? To me that is nature's way of telling me something is not right...)

I do, on occasion, wear a very light perfume, but I dare anyone besides that Spouse o' Mine to be close enough to catch wind of it. I always thought that one's perfume should not announce your arrival into a room.

Hideous and not-even-close-to-real lavender candle scents, fake cookie smells coming out of electrical outlets, cinnamon boiling on the stove...all of these things really make me feel ill. People have been brainwashed to believe that their laundry must have a scent that one can smell ten feet away, or it is not up to standard.

OK. That's my rant. Here's a thought: go out to your garden and take a lavender bud, a spring of mint, or a patchouli leaf, and rub it between your fingers.

Now, that's worth smelling.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...