Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Crack of Dawn

I happened upon this photo this evening, and thought I should write about it before I misplace it. I know, it's on my hard drive, but it is listed as something like Computer: F: \olddrive\Kodak Pictures\2004-01-30, and therefore it is very likely I won't retrieve it any time soon, once I exit.

Anyway: one morning, before the break of dawn, I wandered out into the pasture in my jammers and houseslippers, (yes, in the snow...) and I saw an amazing pink light coming over the trees down by the creek. I ran back to the house (see: running in houseslippers in the snow in a dark pasture), and grabbed what apparently was a geriatric Kodak camera, according to F:\olddrive\Kodak Pictures\2004-01-30, and ran back in time to photograph...

The Crack of Dawn

It was a beautiful morning.

Seeing this photo reminds me of a wonderful storyteller from North Carolina, Donald Davis .
I had the opportunity to hear Mr. Davis tell stories twice, and I loved it! One of his Appalachian stories is called Listening for the Crack of Dawn. His North Carolina drawl reminds me of those 1960s Walt Disney narrators. And Mr. Davis and his wife are as congenial as they come when visiting with total strangers.

And so now I feel better, having gotten this photo up without losing it in the meantime!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I had to do a double take when you said you had wandered out "in the snow". I then realized that you had taken this photo awhile ago and not recently as I first thought. Stunning photo and what a beautiful way to start the day.

I just wanted to say that my winemaker friend went to K State, and grew up in Kansas. His roommate was from Wamego, Schwab was the last name, maybe Doug is the first?? can't remember. Anyhoo, small world isn't it?

Jo said...

That is the most amazing, beautiful photo...! It feels like dawn is rising up to greet the sky. I'm glad you didn't lose it. :-)

Claire Hilary said...

I forgot to tell you,
I can see the sun rise and set now.
I really like living here!!

xpda said...

So THAT's what dawn looks like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...