Friday, August 07, 2009

Kansas and family hoo-hah. Ugh.

Yesterday proved itself a somewhat cool, overcast, and non-windy day.

Yippee!

I spent the morning planting lavender and a kabillion irises. Out in the front yard, I dug and planted and dug some more, to plant the iris starts that I acquired two weeks ago, at the K-State Iris sale. (Thank you to my neighbor Mary!)

Whilst out in the front yard finagling the iris nonsense, I watched a car pull up by our house. Hmm...Coming off a wonderful family reunion in Oklahoma the week before, I thought perhaps these were close personal relatives. But... their faces did not ring a recognizable bell. Nope, noone I knew.

A man hopped out of the car, and said to me, "You live on my road!" And I replied, "Oh! And where do you live?" (Thinking of course that he was my neighbor out here in rural Kansas...) And he said, "No - I am a Wabaunsee!" and that's when I got it - he, his wife, their small daughter, and his mother-in-law were all Pottawattamie, here for the Pot. Pow Wow. We took pictures of them next to some Wabaunsee street signs in front of our house and then they were off.

Today, another car stopped by our house. Another family stopped, also Pottawattamie, to take pictures by our house - the county salute to their Chief, Chief Wabaunsee. Such an interesting byway in my life.

Tonight, the Spouse o' Mine left to pick up one of the Daughters at the train station, from Chicago. At the same time, The Boy left for a party/bonfire with some of his high school track friends. Soon after he left the house, my cell phone rang. It was The Boy: every mom's nightmare: he had hit a deer. His Jeep wouldn't start, blah blah blah. I headed his way, and called the landowners where his Jeep would no doubt be overnighting.

OK. OK. The police officer was kind, as were the landowners, That Spouse o' Mine is upset, but whatever. The doe is dead, alongside the Jeep, which we Armstrongs must move before we make our 5-hour drive down south tomorrow afternoon.

Yes, yep: I love my life. I am thankful for the well-being of our three kids. Yep.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...