Saturday, August 15, 2009

Marital Bliss

I am watching some HGTV drivel about home renovation.

What a curiosity: the husband and wife are smiling and in happy happy conversation with each other. They are HIGH-FIVING each other as they progress through the jobs. Where did they find these people?

Ours is a "This Old House" situation, and rarely a day/week/month goes by that we don't have something household that needs attending to. There are tradeoffs to this to be sure - I love the unique charm and woodwork of this ca 1887 home. But back to the subject at hand: that Spouse o' Mine and I are not role models for wedded bliss in the home renovation business. (Small wonder HGTV has never knocked on our door.) He is a perfectionist and talented in the woodwork arena. I just want it done. Doesn't matter WHAT, I just want it done. Now. Or yesterday. He thinks things through to the 10th degree, sometimes to a fault, and I just want it done. Now. Or yesterday.

  • And I don't like to work in heat. He likes it.
  • He likes to JUMP out of bed on a Saturday morning and grab his coffee on the way out the door with his tools or saws or wood or whatever. I like to savor the weekend morning and ponder life for an hour or so.
  • He tends to "spread out" in his workspace, and maybe doesn't keep his tools neat and tidy like I would like.
  • I think that those holes in ladders are there for a purpose and one SHOULD put one's hammer/drill/screwdrivers in the holes, so they do not fall on one's head when one moves said ladder. I'm sure that Spouse o' Mine does not even consider those holes in the ladder at all...
  • Such is our home reno bliss, we each have our own tool boxes, have his & hers drills and jigsaws.

I could go on and on, but let's just leave it at this: those smiling nitwits I am seeing on TV are definitely not a "reality" show. I am living it right here...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...