Sunday, August 02, 2009

Family

My question is: how is it that family can be so comfortable?

How can I feel so relaxed, going into a weekend prospect of seeing people that I have not seen for years, and some of whom have grown from nursery school to college, and yet, we can be perfectly at home with one another? Where is nature's explanation for this phenomenon?

I am aware that all families do not experience this pleasure. That's a shame. And I am aware that perhaps the inlaws of our family are not as comfortable with our hoo-hah as we kin are. But kin we are, and kith we embrace as readily as our own, whether they like it or not.

Our family reunion this weekend was a delight! A celebration of life, ambition, trials, and successes! It was reassuring to visit with the elders of our family. A blessing to see the newest addition to our family, a baby girl, two weeks old. Inbetween, we had a plethora of college kids and college grads.

My hope for our extended family is that each of the younger generations can feel as comfortable and "at home" with each other as we cousins do now, in our middle age. Yes, they are more extended, but family is so important. I hope this next generation "gets it" - that blood is indeed thicker than water. They should be there for each and every "other"; close or distant relative. We can hearken to the tribes in the Bible.

I love that I can call on any of my brothers , and could call on any of my cousins for anything, and they would be there, no questions. I have never had to do this; I just know this is true. As that Spouse o' Mine and I would be for any of them. Any time.

So, this note is just a written celebration of my blessing - my family, my kith & kin. We love and are loved.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...