Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ragweed: Ambrosia

Ragweed! The bane of my autumnal existence.

The scientific name of the genus of this plant is Ambrosia. If I were a swearing person (and sometimes I am, but perhaps my readers are not...) I would say %!/^! AMBROSIA?!?! Food/drink of the ancient greek gods?! OK. Hell's bells and little fishes. There. I said it. Ambrosia, my eye.

There is a beetle, the Ophraella Communa, which is a leaf-eater. It has been proposed that this beetle could be used for effective biological control against ragweed. But herein lies the rub: the Ophraella Communa likes sunflowers as much as it likes ragweed. And I live in the Sunflower State. I guess that's out.

I would like to request that everyone slow their breathing. According to research, higher levels of carbon dioxide will greatly increase ragweed pollen production. So, slow it down, right now. Go practice yoga, if you please.

Funny - the Common Ragweed (of which I am speaking) is also called Bitterweed (probably because I am bitterly sneezing/itching/hacking) and Bloodweed (probably because it just makes my blood boil that something as simple as a simple weed can disrupt my sleep, my morning, my afternoon, and my evening.)

Ok. I have vented.

Enjoy your autumn.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...