Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Luminescence

I looked outside tonight (I am in my seasonal hibernation), and wowee! Lightning bugs abound! I love them. There is a chemical reaction called bioluminescence that causes these funny things to gambol in my backyard with their lights on. And in yours.

I could research this (and so could you), but I think it will suffice to say that these lightning bugs are looking for mates and such. Blinkety-blink-blink: Are you of like species? Do you like me? Do I like you?

Nature is at its best with these guys. Who amongst us has had a lightning bug schmush up on our windshield, leaving its smear of "bioluminescence"? It is a fascinating thing. Those amongst us who believe that God created heaven and earth must revel in things such as the lightning bug. Interesting guy. (The bug. And, more importantly, God.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...