Friday, June 12, 2009

Book Club, anyone?

Soon after we moved out here to rural Kansas, I called and emailed a few of my new friends and neighbors and even a few people I didn't even know very well at all. (The other day I figured out that I have lived in 5 states, 2 countries, and 16 homes in my adulthood; calling virtual strangers gets pretty easy after so many moves...) I asked them if they were interested in starting a book club.

Presently, seven years later, the Wabaunsee Book Club has grown to 17 members.
Once a month we meet in one-anothers' homes, with a title we've picked the previous month, and presumably read. You can peruse the Wabaunsee Book Club website and see What We've Read:
http://sites.google.com/site/wabaunseebookclub/
It's a fun group and we share a lot of laughs. And we can really get into interesting literary conversations. We have learned to steer clear of politics and religion. At least one of us is writing a book. One of us has finished her PhD. One of us is an artist, and one of us is a rancher. We all are strong readers!

The Wabaunsee Book Club has been a really worthwhile club for me, and I would sure encourage everyone to join or form a book club! I have read (and enjoyed) books I would have normally thrown in a trash heap! Ordinarily not a fantasy/science fiction fan, I have gamely read a couple. And my fellow members did groan, but did read MY pick o' the month, Taming of the Shrew by Mr. Shakespeare. (The host for the coming month gets to pick the upcoming book, and this makes it fun for all who host.)

Tonight's WBC meeting was down the road at my neighbor Mary's cabin in the woods. We rode up to the hills and looked at wildflowers and rode down the hills to cook dinner over a campfire. Some of the ladies are camping out at the cabin. Our book for this month was Three Cups of Tea.

And this is one thing we do here in rural Kansas.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...