Saturday, April 19, 2014

Packing for a Trip:

As I planned my trip to South Carolina in my head, I thought about comfort logistics.  A beach, some hiking, running, walking, beachcombing.  That would be about it.  I thought about the flight.  Six days on the beach would not require much in the suitcase.  In fact, I thought, why take a suitcase?

And so I did not.  I took a smallish overnight bag and a largish (to me) purse.  I left behind my laptop and my camera: an exercise in experiencing the here and now that we nowdays so often overlook while in pursuit of the perfect photo or news headline.  I took three very small books: Collections of Samuel Coleridge, Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men , (which, until I read this evening's Book Club email, I thought was this month's title.  Apparently we were to read Flowers for Algernon.  Huh.), and my small KJV Bible.  (It fits into a side pocket of my overnight quite nicely. )

I wore a comfy pair of shoes on the plane.  I had running shoes/wardrobe in my overnight, plus a pair of linen capris, a pair of linen pants, three shirts, and my jammies.  Yep.  That's it. 

I keep a perpetually-packed bag in my closet for any rhyme or reason.  Who knows when you will be invited to flit to Tahiti on a moment's notice?  (I have never been to Tahiti, but my brother Bob once gave me six days' notice to fly well into the Arctic Circle with him, a few years ago.)  A scout is always prepared.  In it I keep any essentials for health and beauty: the toiletries, the sunscreen, the aspirin, the tissues, a pair of socks and undies (did I just use a word from back in the 50s?), and so on.  I tossed this in my overnight bag, and...

...And so I went south!  I was one of the few, if not the only one, who deplaned and walked right out into the fresh air without a glance at baggage claim. 

More to come...Hilton Head Island Fun  And Games.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...