Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Notes

When that Spouse o' Mine was in Australia a few weeks ago, I noticed that I was awakened most mornings by a cardinal singing its predawn song.  Generally about 4:55 am.  It always seemed really loud to me, but I decided it was because I was alone in the house and perhaps I was more attuned to noises out and about the house.  

Last night (not putting together 2+2),  I mentioned to that Spouse o' Mine that I thought a cardinal was nesting in the lilac tree right outside our bedroom window.  Wasn't that nice, I said?  Well.  When I was awakened once again at 4:55 am today by the cardinal's Good Morning Song, it all fell into place.  No wonder he/she sounded so loud all these mornings; the nest is only about ten feet from our bed.

Another change in nocturne around here is our 190-year old cat, Puzzle.  She is senile.  And I think she is playing the senility card for all its worth.  Puzzle has spent the past five years sleeping at the foot of our bed.  This, after her Girl went to college, and Puzzle was left with no roommate in the bedroom upstairs.  She came down one night, and has slept by our feet ever since.

That is, until this week, upon my return from Breckenridge.  I have awakened in the morning every day this week with a cat on my head.

WHAT'S THIS ABOUT?!!

I shouldn't be sleeping with a cat on my head.  It's just not at all right.

On a Sunday morning church note, during communion this morning I followed a young father up to the communion railing.  He was carrying his three year-old son.  In our church it is customary to bless the young children by giving the sign of the cross across their foreheads, until they are old enough to be confirmed and take communion.  Well, this kid's father took communion and right as the communion server bent forward to bless said kid, said kid head-butted the communion server. 

BAM!  Right into the forehead.

It had to have hurt.  And I was up next for communion.  Do I ask, "Are you OK?"  Do I act as if nothing happened?  I took communion and said "Amen" and went back to my seat.  After service I spoke with the server, who said, Yes, it did hurt.  And she had no idea how to react either.  I told her she might be the first person in history ever to suffer a head-butting during communion.

This afternoon that Spouse o' Mine and I went to a cello recital, performed by my cello instructor.
It was enjoyable!  She is good!  Here is my favorite of her pieces, a Poulenc recording performed by somebody in cyberspace:

Poulenc Sonata  

And finally:  the hummingbirds are back in town!     

1 comment:

Louise Plummer said...

I listened to the cello while grading papers. I used to take flute lessons--never got any good at it, but this is my favorite flute piece also from Poulenc:

http://youtu.be/3heLhtGQpJk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...