Saturday, March 03, 2012

Lavender Fields

We closed the years-long chapter in our lives titled Horses last summer, sadly, and not by choice. But it is a closed chapter, and we have an empty pasture now. Last fall I decided to plant lavender out there. That Spouse o' Mine, who has his PhD in green things, suggested I do a test plot this year.

That's all the encouragement I needed! I called a local greenhouse and asked them how THEY propagated their lavender. The lady I spoke with was very nice and took her time talking to me on the phone. She explained how they do things, and she mentioned that theirs is about a 30% success rate. Lavender is difficult to start - nearly impossible from seeds, and propagating sounds a little hit & miss.

So the past few months I have been hitting and missing. But I must say, I believe I managed a pretty good success rate in how to do this! From my first little twigs I cut this winter, I successfully rooted and transplanted these gems:Ten out of twelve of my first attempts look to be viable lavender plants come spring. I have about twenty more in the rooting stage, and I will start some more twigs this week!

2 comments:

Claire Hilary said...

My cuttings from your lavender dried up and died. I stuck them whole into the food-processor and made a cut up mix of lavender. Then I steamed water and made a lavender steam for my face. It was lovely.

My success rate was 0%. I am moving on to other things now.

Louise Plummer said...

I'd like a whiff of that heather. Lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...