Friday, September 30, 2011

Runners' World

In someone's research somewhere, there is an educated hypothesis stating that if you do anything steadily for three weeks, it becomes habit. I like that hypothesis. Sort of. If I eat raw carrots for three weeks and then I have rabbit-like cravings, I am not so sure. But if I run down the road like I have been, and do it for 3 weeks, and it becomes habit, then I am a happy camper runner.

And so I have. For two weeks. Get back to me next week.

This afternoon I had "Lunch with the Ladies", and afterwards, I popped over to the university bookstore. First stop: cookbooks. And as I knelt down to peruse the titles, the lady next to me righted herself, and I saw that she was an acquaintance and fellow mother of a former Manhattan HS XC runner. And she herself? A half-marathon runner. Dang! She was buff!

Me? Age 51, maybe not so buff. Capable of some hiking, cycling and running jaunts, but my physique did not mirror this woman's.

WHATEVER.
Again: WHATEVER.

I mentioned a friend's running experience to the woman in the bookstore: "I have a friend who has done the Marine Marathon/Half Marathon/whatever for many years - you should look into it!"

And then? Lo and behold, coincidentally, just out out of the blue: tonight, I received a really nice note from my friend, the Marine Corps runner, from whom I have not heard in months!

What is that, I ask?

Huh.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...