Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mirthful Sounds, and the Sound of Silence

I wrote this for my Lydia Circle women this month, but I am happy to share it here as well:

Some of you know that Paul & I have enjoyed having all three (adult) kids, plus 1 boyfriend, home the past couple of weeks. How fun it has been! Lots of activity and laughter.

Yesterday we took the last two to the airport for their flight home. This morning, Paul left early for work, and I had the morning to myself.

It was quiet.

And it was OK!

I sat out and listened to the hummingbird wars whirring in the yard. We have a wind chime which only has one very, very deep tone, and it chimed in the morning wind. After a whirlwind couple of weeks that I would not trade for diamonds, it was nice, too, to wake up and enjoy the silence.

"Some days, we just need to turn the quiet up." ~Dr. SunWolf

"
We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence.... We need silence to be able to touch souls." ~Mother Teresa

"
True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment." ~William Penn

"
Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose." ~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

1 comment:

Melissa G said...

So true...I've always enjoyed a good "silence". I particularly like the quote from Mother Teresa - makes me think of the verse "be still and know that I am God" (in Psalms somewhere).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...