Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow! Pretty Snow!

December 30, with Y2K.01 looming.  Where did the decade go, I ask you?


It snowed again during the night, pretty, pretty snow.  The new snow has overcoated the week-old, crusty snow, and it looks like an arctic tabula rasa once again.


I have received a few suggestions for Y2K.01 book titles.  So here is my reading list, thus far:
  • The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) {This is the Wabaunsee Book Club's January title, so I will commence reading it first.  It is not something I would normally choose to read, so, yes, this year will be a year of literary growth for me.} 
  • Picture of Dorian Grey {I took this off Margaret Reese's book list.}
  •  The Accidental Connoisseur: An irreverent journey through the wine world (Lawrence Osborne)  {yes, Leann, there was a pattern in your picks!}
  •  A Woman's Book of Strength (Karen Andes)
  • Bell Canto (Ann Patchett)
  •  Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
  •  East of Eden (John Steinbeck) {I can't believe I have never read this!}
  •  O Pioneers!  (Willa Cather) 


And I'm still taking suggestions!  Can you recommend a good title to me?


Conversely, let me recommend the following books, from my 2009 books read:
  • The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
  • Saving Fish from Drowning (Amy Tan)
  • My Life in France (Julia Child)
  • Call the Briefing (Marlin Fitzwater)
  • The Opposite of Fate (Amy Tan)
  • The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)
Those are in no particular order, and as I typed each one, I thought, "Oh!  I really enjoyed that one!"  

Maybe you will, too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...