Friday, October 26, 2012

Inner Fires

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~ Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

I recall my third grade teacher, Mrs. Haught, taught us about Albert Schweizer.  Mrs. Haught also taught us about Mahatma Ghandi.  She had us memorize Luke 2:1-14.  We prayed every morning, we saluted the American flag and said the Pledge of Allegiance. 

I'm not sure I even had an inner fire until I was in Mrs. Haught's class.


I know each and every one of us has experienced the acquaintances that have ignited flames in our lives.  How eloquent, Mr. Schweitzer.   

Someone who helped me in college, in newlywed life, young motherhood...empty-nesthood...

Someone who, by my casual observation, jump-started my religious life.  My creative life.  My  athletic life.

 Flames, flames...

Today I received word that one of my favorite teachers, appropriately nicknamed Happy, has passed away.  She was someone who ignited my inner fire.  She was so positive, so happy.  (But note: to me, she was never anything but Mrs. Davenport.  Not Lovis, not "Happy".  Always Mrs. Davenport.)

So let me back up a bit:

Have I ever been one of those encounters which kindled a burst of flames in another's inner spirit, someone's inner fire?

I don't know.

Maybe I should dwell on this.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...