Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Desert: Day Two

In Sedona, Gillian and I stayed at a nice little B & B just off the main street. I like Bed and Breakfasts. They are just what they say: a bed and a breakfast. Sometimes, the B & Bs are in someone's home (like the one we stayed at in Aukland.) Sometimes, they are a series of rooms in an old house, or a group of cabins, or other conglomeration. B & Bs seem more informal than a hotel. In that there are usually no more than 6 parties staying at such a place, invariably, one meets and talks to some interesting travelers on his way.

Courtyard garden at the Rose Tree Inn

The following morning, bright and early, we hopped into the car and headed to some Sedona sights. I have to say, this is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.


And then, off we went! Points north/northwest:
Grand Canyon!!
(Gillian is an expert trip planner.)


From Grand Canyon,
we headed straight east into the Painted Desert.
Words cannot describe this:
All the sand dunes were of different colors: pink, grey, bluish, gold, red...
(photo by Gillian)

Soon after we left the Painted Desert, I saw clouds gathering, and I mentioned to Gill how glad I was to be moving on, out of the storm.


Ha.
Ha ha.
We had not moved out of the storm.

In fact, soon after I uttered those words, a car came over the hill in front of us and flashed-flashed-flashed his high beams at us. I asked Gillian, "What? Does he want me to turn on my lights?", and as I asked that, I did so. Gillian replied, "I think it's about the flash flood."

"THE WHAT?!!!"
"There was a sign just back there about flash floods."
"But we're not supposed to drive through flash floods!!!!!" (I am straight-A, black and white: DO NOT DRIVE INTO A FLASH FLOOD is a rule. A rule. We do not break rules.)

A split-second later (and now, readers, I do know about those poor individuals who are swept up in streams), our car was crossing a wash-out across the road, mud and water streaming to the other side. I am surprised I did not break out in hives.

In the next hour/ hour & half, we were stuck idling on the road, waiting for the road to be cleared of water or mud or both, in three different places:
It was a dreary afternoon to our fun-filled morning adventures.
But, interesting.

Our next stop was Telluride, Colorado, to meet one of Gillian's childhood friends and her newlywed husband. We were to meet them for dinner. But given the deluges and mud-washouts, we anticipated getting into Telluride at 7:30 pm. That was ok by us, but our phone kept cutting out so we didn't know what the newlyweds thought. As our car drove deeper and deeper into Telluride, I thought to myself, Boy, it sure is dark outside. A few minutes later, Gillian remarked, "It feels really late." And then she turned to me: "IS THERE A TIME CHANGE HERE?!!!"

Oh, dear.
There WAS a time change. So when we had told our friends: Dinner at 7:30 p.m. (not to mention the mudslide bugaboo delay), we were on Pacific time.

Uh-oh.
We apologized profusely, and the evening was a delight. In spite of our dateline ignorance.

Our short stay in Telluride was at the Aspen Street Inn. We liked it. Gillian said (and I quote), "It's like a hostel for old people."

It was! (Old people being 48+, I think.) We had a great room and the breakfast, bright & early as our day dictated,was great.

From Telluride, we headed east: Breckenridge. We were going to spend time with one of my nieces and her family. I love that I can say "her family". A year ago, I would have said, "My niece and her husband." Now, I can say "...and her family." I got to meet my little 5-week old niece (Great? Grand? I think it's Great) Charlotte. What a great family. We love them, all three. They are paying us a visit in four days, and so that Spouse o' Mine ("Uncle Paul") will get to meet Charlotte, too.

Upon our arrival in Breckenridge, Gillian suggested Himalayan cuisine for dinner. We four (plus the wee one) went out and had a good old Himalayan time.

And now... points east.
Big time.



1 comment:

Melissa G said...

What an adventure! I like how Gillian plans trips :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...