Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Skunk!!!


So sad that skunks are...well, skunks.

I think they are beautiful animals.  Such artistry in God's making, the black with the pretty white stripe.  Kind of like calico cats, I suppose: God wanted some animals of symmetry, some of random pattern, but all God's creations have SOME beauty about them.

Last week I ventured into the barn in the early morning, to fed the ponies.  I smelled eau de skunk.  And I made a mental note of it.  And mentioned it to that spouse o' mine when I returned to the house.

That evening, back in the barn for the evening feeding,  I really, really smelled Mr./Mrs. Skunk.  REALLY.  I did not make a mental note of it, I turned on ALL the barn lights and left them on all night.  Yeah, I thought:  that will dissuade the skunk...

I was wrong.  Mr./Mrs. Skunk was in the tack room the following morning, FULL-FORCE in odor.  I grabbed the nearest feed sack and hauled it into the barn aisle, and proceeded to feed ponies from that.

What to do?
What to do?! 

I went into the house and got a good (and really loud) radio.  Off to the barn I went, and plugged it in right by the tack room.  I dialed to the college station (read: rock, reggae, nitwit chatter, plenty of noise 24 hours a day).  I turned the radio on as high as it would go, turned on all the barn lights, and there I left it for 36 hours.

And where do we stand this week, in the barn?  We stand skunkless!  Yes!  Lights AND college radio seem to be the anti-skunk.  FYI.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

I love that picture!

twebsterarmstrong said...

I really think skunks are very pretty, don't you?

Anonymous said...

So what kind of music does a skunk like?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...