Saturday, July 04, 2009

Well, I Declare!

Bah? Humbug?

Today is the 4th of July. My least-favorite holiday celebration: sweating and loud noises.

It was actually on July 2, 1776, that the 2nd Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence: the legal separation of the American colonies from Great Britain. And although this is the date the resolution was voted on in Congress, the date on the Declaration states 4th of July. And to further this quandary, most of the delegates actually signed the Declaration on August 2, 1776.

But the 4th of July it is, the holiday we celebrate as our nation's independence.

As kids, we used to do dumb (and unsafe) things with fireworks. I don't recall fireworks stands being regulated too much, several decades ago. Back when we could acquire things called M-80s and such. I remember the kid down the road that nearly blew his fingers off with an M-80. We all just thought, "Wow, throw it earlier, Johnny." And we blew up cans and bottles and who-knows-what-else. (When I say "we", I think I am really referring to my 3 brothers, with me tagging along at a distance.) I vividly recall the year my brother Bob accidentally stuck the punk up my nose. The smell of burning flesh is no joke!

I remember my dad always had a cigar on the night of 4th of July. That was his punk, for the "big ones". I don't remember him ever smoking a cigar except the 4th of July, and the occasional times at the boathouse. Maybe Mom had told him cigars were outdoor things...

What do I enjoy about the Fourth? Music!! Yessirree. There is nothing better than a GREAT patriotic concert. Some Sousa, Copeland, a Shaker hymn here and a Quaker hymn there...

Today, set your flag out if you have one. Forget politics, scandals, economies, and wars. Count our blessings, say your prayers, and be proud of who we are.

1 comment:

xpda said...

High explosives are underrated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...