Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Most Humid Place on Earth

This evening I walked outside and was knocked silly by the humidity. This happens when one, as I, arises early of a morn and does her outdoor things before the sunrise barely reaches the treetops, and then returns to her seasonal hibernation of the air conditioning for the remainder of the day. My goodness me, the air outdoors was so thick and so still, even in the dark, I could swear I could have swum in the thick dampness.

I wonder...where and who experiences the MOST humidity on this planet? (Because I do not want to conduct a job search there.) Here is what I find:

Coastal regions near the equator, during their rainy seasons:
Manilla (Phillipines)
Bangkok (Thailand) {although w/ the Thai cuisine, this humid locale could almost be bearable.}

Kuala Lampur (Malaysia) and Singapore have year-round high humidity, given their proximity to water and the Equator. Northern Tasmania (Australia) is purported to be pretty darn humid.

The lowest humidity in the United States is to be found in Yuma , Arizona. Hmmm...sorry - in my early flight attendant days, I worked flights from Central Coast California (read: cool and pleasant) to Yuma (read: a baking oven!!) The next-lowest humidity can be found in Tuscon, Arizona. I haven't spent time there, but my guess is that my comfort level there would be nil, as well.

The least-humid place in the world is Antarctica, and I think that, yes, I could indeed "weather" the weather there. At least I could give it a try!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...